Twitter and Facebook

Tuesday 19 January 2016

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

Slow start that takes off later                     My rating:  3 out of 5

Set, mostly, in the Gower Peninsula - this shows Wales at its best, in the winter, when the beaches are quiet and the tourists have gone home.   The beach scenes made me yearn to visit this area again.


However, the first half of the book I felt was predictable.  A terrible accident, a move to Wales to escape, and though moving and shocking, a little tedious UNTIL the last sentences in Part 1, when there is a sudden twist, and all the predictability turns out to have been a red herring. 

Then Part 2 gallops along, totally compelling, full of twists and excitement.  Although the violence depicted was too much for me, it was totally in keeping with the storyline.    I can see why, having got through the first half, this gripping psychological thriller is selling so well, but I shall be looking for something a little less upsetting for my next read. 

Nominated for the Linwood Barclay Award for Most Surprising Twist in 2016

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite novels so far in 2016. Loved it!
    https://fictionophile.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/i-let-you-go-by-clare-mackintosh/

    ReplyDelete